TIPS FOR SURVIVING THE FIRST DAYS ON A NEW JOB
- Exhibit positive traits such as enthusiasm, cooperativeness, and self-confidence.
- Give top performance on the job.
- Ask questions until you know what you are doing.
- Watch the use of first names. If the boss wants you to use first names, you’ll be told.
- Ask your boss how an assignment is to be handled – with regular progress reports or by contacting him only when you’re stumped.
- Remember that people like other people who are like them.
- Follow office etiquette.
- In dress, take an employer’s lead. When in doubt, dress conservatively until you know what’s accepted.
- Be receptive to co-workers who offer advice on work techniques, although this may mean changing old habits. Accept criticism gracefully.
- Arrive to work on time.
- Go slow in changing your work area. Watch how others organize their workspace and follow their example.
- Lunch with different groups.
- Introduce yourself to those you haven’t met.
Joyce Lain Kennedy and Dr. Darryl Laramore: Joyce Lain Kennedy’s Career Book
, VGM Career Horizons, Lincolnwood, IL. 1988
Job Survival Workshop