The Lehigh Valley Workforce Development Board Youth Development program is overseen by the Lehigh Valley Workforce Development Board and its Youth Committee. The Youth Committee understands that to be truly successful in creating a youth system, there must be partnerships between businesses, schools, support groups, and other agencies in the process.
The Youth Committee has a proactive vision of creating a seamless system that ensures all youth transition successfully from school to advanced training to work.
The emphasis is on teaching academic and employability skills to in-school and out-of-school youth who might otherwise not have an opportunity to succeed academically or vocationally.
The youth service providers work with various agencies to recruit the neediest youth including those who are out-of-school, homeless, aging out of foster care, offenders, disabled, and other at-risk youth.
The Youth Committee continues to develop a strategy for providing comprehensive services for in and out-of-school youth, that address local needs and considers availability of local resources. The activities include:
- the objective assessment of each youth
- the development of individual services strategies
- the delivery of services which prepare youth for postsecondary educational opportunities
- linking academic and occupational learning
- preparing youth for employment
- and providing connections to intermediary organizations linked to the job market and employers.
Interested in becoming a member of the Youth Committee? Contact us today!